- Build Quality
- Value for Money
The Technivorm Moccamaster KBT 741 is certifiably one of the best drip coffee makers in the world: it’s one of select few high-end coffee machines to meet the strict optimal brewing requirements of the European Coffee Brewing Centre (ECBC) and the Speciality Coffee Association of America and Europe (SCAA/SCAE). The resulting coffee is truly world-class.
This high-end coffee brewer features a powerful copper heating element that maintains optimal temperature throughout the brewing process, a manual drip-stop brew basket, a 1.25-liter stainless steel thermal carafe, and a high-quality durable metal casing. Handmade in the Netherlands with high-quality removable parts that are BPA-free, the Moccamaster KBT 741 Clubline 10-cup brewer is durable and easy to maintain. Technivorm-Moccamaster products—frequently referred to as the “Rolls Royce” of coffee brewers—are so well-designed and sturdy that you’ll likely never have to buy a replacement.
Features & Specifications of the Technivorm Moccamaster KBT 741
- Powerful 1400-watt heater uses pulse action to brew coffee within the optimal range of 196°-205° in order to allow for the perfect coffee bloom during extraction
- Brews up to 40 ounces of coffee in about 6 minutes (10 European 4-ounce cups)
- Manual drip-stop brew basket
- Copper heating element allows the coffee maker to maintain a stable and consistent brewing temperature from start to finish
- Stainless steel thermal carafe that keeps coffee hot for hours (Prefer a glass carafe? Check the Technivorm Moccamaster KBG 741)
- SCAA/SCAE, and ECBC certified
- 5 year limited warranty
- Size: 7.1×12.2×15.4 inches
- Weight: 6.5 pounds
Highlights of the Technivorm Moccamaster KBT 741
The Technivorm Moccamaster KBT has several appealing characteristics that justify its hefty price tag:
- Brews a full pot of coffee (10 European cups (40oz)) in under 6 minutes–the optimal brewing time according to National Coffee Association guidelines
- Reaches and maintains the ideal brewing temperature of 196°-205°, per SCAA’s guidelines. Optimal brewing temperature and time are key factors in brewing great tasting coffee.
- Stainless steel thermal carafe keeps brewed coffee hot for hours, without compromising taste. Several reviewers preferred the thermal carafe to the glass carafe and hot plate model.
- Manual drip-stop basket has three settings: Full-flow, partial-flow, and closed. For convenience, leave the switch on full flow and it will work like a charm. But to fully steep the grounds before brewing, you can switch it to closed for 4 minutes before releasing the coffee into the carafe.
- Function over flair design of the machine means that it is both easy to use and easy to clean.
- 5-year limited warranty provides added reassurance when compared to the standard industry warranties of 1 or 2 years
The main consideration with regard to the KBT is its price. Beyond that, the brewer should appeal to anyone who loves excellent coffee. Here are a few things to think about before buying one:
- List price is in line with its high-quality components and handmade European manufacturing, potentially out of reach for consumers who are very price-sensitive.
- Larger than many other 10-cup machines, making it inconvenient for use in small kitchens.
- No “pre-scheduled brew”/timed start function.
- A very small percentage of consumers noted that the shower head does not distribute water evenly over the grounds, resulting in incomplete saturation.
Technivorm Moccamaster only makes top quality, high-end coffee machines and, as such, commands a relatively high price. But not all coffee makers are created equally, and this brand stands apart in terms of quality and workmanship. The Technivorm philosophy is to build machines that are “long-lasting, reliable, energy efficient and recyclable.”
We concur with Cook’s Illustrated, America’s Test Kitchen, and a host of others in naming the Technivorm Moccamaster KBT 741 Clubline 10-cup brewer one of the best drip coffee makers for home use. It brews great tasting coffee quickly and without much fuss. And while its design is focused on function over flair, it has an attractive retro look that will always be in style. This product is for serious coffee lovers who want the best tasting coffee in their home and don´t mind spending a bit more for an extremely well-made, reliable and easy to use brewer.