- Build Quality
- Value for Money
The Hamilton Beach 49981 Single Serve Scoop Coffee Maker is a sleek, stainless steel machine that can whip up your favorite cup of java in 90 seconds. It is similar in design to the Keurig machines, but allows for more diversity of choice because you can put whatever grounds you choose into it (as opposed to pricey pre-packaged, single use k-cups) and it’s less than half the price. Its cheaper up-front cost and overall use cost make it worth checking out “The Scoop” if you’re considering switching from your old machine to a newer model.
If you are an old-school brewer, looking for strongest and fullest bodied coffee you can find, then you can use the “bold” setting on the machine, which is made to deliver to fullest taste for premium grounds. So if you’re looking for something that will work quickly and efficiently to fit into your busy morning routine, check it out. With over 2,000 reviews on Amazon, this machine has a stunning amount of positive user feedback: its usability and quality brewing pleasing the majority of coffee lovers.
Specifications and Features of the Hamilton Beach 49981
This machine is simply made and easy to use. Making a cup of joe is speedy and pain-free: brewing an 8oz cup in 90 seconds, and a 14oz cup in about 2 and a half minutes, with no fiddling around with paper filters or finicky gadgets. It has only a few pieces (including a steel mesh scoop and a tray to adjust the cup size for mugs or travel mugs), few buttons and is easy to clean.
The machine comes with a mesh scoop filter that you can use on its own, with no paper filters or cups necessary. It comes marked with measuring lines for exact serving amounts, so there’s no guesswork involved in how to make the perfect cup. It has two buttons, representing a “regular” and a “bold” setting, so that you can choose to create drip coffee quickly, or a have a stronger brew if you want to use finely ground or premium roasts. The machine is made out of stainless steel so it’s nice and durable, and it shuts off automatically after brewing. No need to worry that you left the pot on once you’ve left the house! Lastly, it has a removable tray so that you can brew into a mug or a travel cup.
Hamilton Beach 49981 Highlights
- You can prep single servings of your favorite ground. With the more expensive machines, you are restricted small range of blends. But with this brewer, you can customize your experience.
- You save not only with the upfront cost of the machine, but also by buying bags of grounds.
- Also, it cuts down on waste. No tricky little cups to try and recycle.
- No extra coffee to toss out because you accidentally did your measurements wrong while you had half an eye open at 6 am. You know you’re just making exactly one cup, so you won’t over make and have to toss out the rest at the end of the day.
- You must run the machine with a vinegar and water mix before you use it, otherwise your coffee might have “plastic” taste, or just not come out strong enough.
- If you’re a traditionalist looking for a nice strong brew, 90 seconds might not be enough time to get the depth and variety of flavor you’re looking for.
- Some users complained of micro grounds in the bottom of each cup.
- Also, there is a risk of accidentally weakening your brew if you add too much water to the machine.
- It may leak (not great for water temperatures that go from zero to boiling in 90 seconds).
Verdict on The Scoop
The Hamilton Beach Scoop single-serve is a good buy. It makes delicious coffee quickly, and can even drip directly into a travel mug! When it comes to making a morning brew, speed and quality top the list of things that people are looking for in a coffee maker. This machine delivers both. Add in the customizable features, and it’s well worth trying out.