- Build Quality
- Value for Money
The Hamilton Beach 49980Z Two-Way Brewer offers outstanding value, due to its innovative design, integrating standard 12-cup drip coffee brewing and single-serve coffee functionality into one reasonably-priced machine.
It is an affordable coffee maker that is ideal for those who wish to brew a proper cup of coffee while avoiding the long lines and expensive menus of a traditional coffee house. The device is manufactured from stainless steel, thus it is quite durable. This coffee machine is ideal for those who may be on a tight budget and yet still wish to enjoy a convenient, freshly brewed coffee day or night.
Specifications and Features
As the name may denote, this machine offers the user two ways to brew a coffee. A single cup can be selected or instead, an entire pot can be made. These options are all accomplished with the simple flick of a switch. In fact, the pot has enough capacity to brew up to twelve cups. A strength function will provide a choice between a coffee that is decidedly potent or instead a regular cup that is ideal for weekends around the home.
Some other interesting features include a twelve-ounce travel mug that is included alongside the traditional glass carafe which holds twelve cups in total. A large water reservoir will allow the unit to be filled only once. This will allow for multiple cups to be made with ease. Its adjustable frame will allow multiple cup sizes to be accommodated without any issues and a programmable computer will enable brew times to be calculated up to twenty-four hours in advance. This is ideal for those who may wish to set a timer before going to sleep at night.
Some further specifications include:
- Dimensions: 13.7 x 11.4 x 15.4 inches
- Shipping weight: 11 pounds.
- Stainless steel lustre.
- Streamlined frontal control panel.
- Programmable interface.
- A pod holder that snaps into place and allows the single-brew system to contain soft coffee pods.
- Two-hour automatic shut off.
- Clearly visible hour and minute displays to allow timed brewing.
- A brew basket with a durable mesh filter.
- Options between bold and regular strength coffee.
- The brewer is extremely easy to clean and maintain.
- A warranty backed up through manufacturer directly
While the majority of reviews of this unit are positive, there are nonetheless a few minor drawbacks that should be taken into consideration. Some of the most notable are:
- The carafe lid cannot be removed, thus it is harder to clean.
- The removable mesh grill has ridges; it may also be harder to thoroughly rinse
- No battery back-up for the built-in clock.
- The water valve may become clogged over time.
- Some users have reported that the unit will suddenly stop functioning (in rare cases)
For most individuals who wish to enjoy both flexibility and a quality cup of coffee, this brewer will certainly not disappoint. The option of making a single cup or instead brewing an entire pot is enviable. This is further enhanced by the ability to directly control the brew strength. Such a feature is rarely found on models at this level. Finally, the price is very agreeable, as other contemporary designs will cost substantially more. With simple operation and the choice to use either non-pod (ground) or pod coffee, such a streamlined convenience is well worth the reasonable price. So, the Hamilton Beach 49980Z Two-Way Brewer is likely to please nearly every value-sensitive consumer.