- Build Quality
- Value for Money
Coffee lovers and industry experts highly recommend the Bonavita BV1900TS 8-Cup Coffee Brewer because it’s fast, easy to use, and produces a rich, great tasting pot of coffee. This high-end automatic drip coffee maker features one-touch brewing, a precise 1500-watt heater for optimal temperature, an optional pre-infusion mode for degassing freshly roasted beans, a “showerhead” for better saturation, and a stainless steel thermal carafe that keeps the coffee hot for up to two hours. It is also SCAA-certified as an exemplary home brewer, which means it has met the rigorous SCAA Golden Cup requirements, based on proper water temperature, water-to-grounds ratios, and brewing time.
Specifications & Features of the Bonavita BV1900TS
- A powerful 1500-watt heater that maintains the optimal brewing range of 195° F to 205° F (91° C-96° C)
- Simple one-button on/off function, with auto-off
- Large showerhead and flat-bottomed filter allow for better saturation of the coffee grounds
- Optional “pre-infusion” mode that degasses the coffee grouns by soaking them prior to brewing
- Stainless steel thermal carafe
- Brews up to eight (8) five-ounce cups of coffee per cycle (40oz total per pot)
- Weight: 6.1 pounds
- Size: 12.4 x 6.8 x 12.2 inches
- 2-year limited warranty
The best thing about this brewer is that it produces an excellent pot of coffee quickly, plus it’s easy to use and a cinch to clean. Its sleek, steel and black plastic design makes it both stylish and easy to store.
- The BV1900TS takes less than 6 minutes to brew a full pot (40 ounces) of coffee, which meets the National Coffee Association´s recommendation for optimal brewing time. The auto-off feature automatically powers down the machine once the brewing stops.
- With its simple one-button design, the machine is easy to use; simply fill the water reservoir, place the plastic basket on top of the stainless steel carafe, add the filter and coffee grounds, and place the carafe under the brew spout. There are no complex, removable parts to fuss with.
- One of the features that contributes to the rich, balanced taste of the coffee this machine produces is the large showerhead that sprays hot water evenly over the grounds in the flat-bottomed filter.
- The machine is very easy to clean–just rinse out the coffee basket and metal carafe.
- At approximately 12 inches in height, the BV1900TS fits in most kitchen cabinets, and with its narrow width of under 7 inches, it doesn´t take up much room on the counter.
- Another nice touch is the ability to position the electrical cord so that it exits the bottom of the coffee machine from the front, rear or side, which keeps it from getting in the way.
- The stainless steel thermal carafe keeps the coffee hot for hours. The carafe´s lid seals tightly, maintaining temperature and preventing spills.
- It´s easy to pre-bloom the coffee grounds with the optional pre-infusion mode—simply hold down the power button for five seconds and the light will blink once to deactivate and twice to activate. Pre-infusion reduces any residual acidity in the brew.
Despite its great features and positive reviews, this brewer has a few design characteristics that may not appeal to everyone.
- Its minimalist feature set will not appeal to those who are looking for tons of bells and whistles, such as programmability. While this version of the brewer is not programmable, Bonavita has recently released a version that is–the BV1900TD 8-Cup Digital Coffee Brewer.
- Some consumers have complained that the machine lacks a storage place for the carafe lid when pouring.
- The coffee basket needs to removed after brewing and the lid needs to be screwed onto the carafe before you can pour the coffee.
- While we have found that the metal carafe keeps the coffee hot throughout breakfast, some were disappointed to find that the coffee did not remain hot for longer.
- The power cord is relatively short, which limits where you can position it on your counter or table.
We join Food & Wine magazine, CNet, and many others in rating the BV1900 as one the best on the market. The BV1900TS is an affordable, stylish, easy-to-use brewer for those who value taste over programmability. This machine’s ability to consistently brew a full pot of smooth, great tasting coffee is hard to top. While the Bonavita BV1900TS isn´t cheap, it is a good value when compared to high-end brewers that don’t produce coffee nearly as tasty or as quickly—and that’s what matters most in the morning, right?